The name “Zwaanswyk” is an abbreviation of “Zwaanswyck aan den Steenbergen”, a beautiful farm at the foot of the Steenberg allocated to a widow by Simon van der Stel in 1683. This school was built on part of that estate.
The school as it is today was officially opened on 30 June 1976 by the honourable Mr. G. J. Lubbe, member of the Executive Council: Education.
In August 2007 Zwaanswyk Primary School adopted the name Zwaanswyk Academy. It was felt that 'Academy' better described the fact that Zwaanswyk offers classes right up till Grade 9.
In 2011 Zwaanswyk Academy reverted to only offering classes up to Grade 7. It was then decided to retain the “Academy”.